100 total views, 1 views today
Novak Djokovic has been kicked out of the Australian Open after his visa was cancelled for a second time.
The decision was said to be in the “public interest”, according to Immigration Minister Alex Hawke.
The decision comes after several remarkable days of uncertainty over his participation in the event, all caused by his refusal to get vaccinated against Covid-19.
Just days before the Australian Open begins, Hawke confirmed he had cancelled the Serbian’s visa, effectively handing him a deportation notice.
Djokovic had intended to play in the tournament and defend his title after entering Australia using a medical exemption.
That medical exemption stemmed around a positive Covid-19 test on December 16, which would have allowed him to bypass the country’s strict restrictions.
His exemption request had been approved by the Victoria state government and Tennis Australia, which seemed to give him legal permission to travel to Australia.
But upon his arrival, Australian Border Force rejected the exemption and canceled his visa. He spent four nights in hotel detention before a judge overturned the decision on Monday morning. However, upon arriving in Australia he incorrectly stated he hadn’t travelled anywhere else 14 days prior to travelling to his arrival. But that turned out to be false after it emerged he had been in Spain just days earlier.
Now, that has happened. Djokovic faces losing his Australian title and being banned from Australia for three years, a move which could effectively end his chances of winning the tournament again.
In a statement, Hawke said: “Today I exercised my power under section 133C (3) of the Migration Actto cancel the visa held by Mr Novak Djokovic on health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so.
“This decision followed orders by the Federal Circuit and Family Court on 10 January 2022, quashing a prior cancellation decision on procedural fairness grounds.
“In making this decision, I carefully considered information provided to me by the Department of Home Affairs, the Australian Border Force and Mr Djokovic.
“The Morrison Government is firmly committed to protecting Australia’s borders, particularly in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic.
“I thank the officers of the Department of Home Affairs and the Australian Border Force who work every day to serve Australia’s interests in increasingly challenging operational environments.”
Djokovic remains able to appeal the decision, which could lead to another lengthy legal battle. But time is running out for the world number one to convince authorities he should be cleared to play, with the Australian Open starting on Monday morning.
After he was cleared to play earlier in the week, Djokovic posted a picture from a practice court and confirmed he was ready to try and retain his title.
In that statement, posted to his Instagram page, he appeared to blame his agent for incorrectly stating he hadn’t travelled anywhere else prior to his arrival in Australia.
source: mirror.co.ukFOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA